Thanks to Chyrp-Lite I have a new interest, being Markdown.
After being in the IT industry for over 20 years I didn't even join the dots between Markup and Markdown.
After reading more about Markdown and what its true purpose is and what I could do with it... I realised that I could either try to extend this editor -- to include what I wanted -- or find something else that already had what I wanted.
What I (thought that ) wanted was:
- Drop-down list selection for Headings
- A dialog box for entering an Image (with extended information)
- A dialog box for entering URLs (with extended information)
It also needed to be easily extendable -- ok..not easily.. but at least do-able.
editor.MD did all of that and more. It is SimpleMDE on steroids.
- includes additional tools over SimpleMDE
- is multi-lingual
- includes a HTML representation of what you type - out-of-the-box
- easy to work extend
- the editor is BIG... 6-7Mb
- the documentation is laking
- the examples are in Chinese
- the main website lacks everything
- the headings weren't in a drop-down
- the editor is BIG... (oh, I mentioned that)
Okay, so it is not perfect. It could be.. but isn't.
The size -- even though it is BIG -- isn't going to be a problem because it is only used by Admins. Who cares. Even though the examples are in Chinese, I really only needed to read the documentation to see what it could do. I found that the normal Github page was very useful. More useful than their pretty looking, useless, site.
I ended up working it all out and created an Italian and German language file for it - to fit in with Chyrp-Lite.
All in all.. you get what you pay for... and it's for free.